November 3, 2009

Understand Everyone Elses Job

The first hard lesson I was taught by my union welding department I oversaw was that I didn't know anything about their jobs. It was true, I didn't.



I didn't know the difference between MIG and TIG welding at the time. I couldn't tell them how to do their job. I couldn't tell them how to spend their time more wisely. I couldn't tell them we didn't need them clocking in extra hours every week. Even if I was right, I couldn't win in an argument or discussion. Every once in a while, in your managerial role, you will find yourself in a similar situation. Hopefully not as extreme.


Sure, in a technical job you can crack open your old text books or rummage through your company library or database. Read material until your heart is content. It doesn't hurt. But, if there is an age difference, you won't be able to tackle the problem as easily.

To combat this? Roll your sleeves up on your off day and re/teach yourself, by doing some of the daily jobs your employees complete every day. No, don't run for the torch and try to complete some of the welding jobs. Go out and clean up, sweep the floor, assist in completing some of their mundane paperwork. Ensure you get in touch with some of the staff, let them know why you are out there. Create an image that you are part of the team, you want to be the quarterback and not the head coach on the sidelines. Be willing to take orders from them. See how they tick, you will be surprised how efficient they can be at their own jobs.


A couple of positive things will come of this. Your employees will truly believe in the team atmosphere. They will feel good that you finally understand what it feels like to be them. They will respect you for not caring about your image. And finally, they will understand that you value their work and your own, coming in on your day off. You will be raising the bar.

My father taught me this lesson. Some of his cleaners used to question his business practices. Claiming they did all the work and he took home the real money. I'm sure many small business owners have heard this one before. He changed that image by going out on off days to clean toilets or scrub floors. The real dirty jobs that no one would do. I would know as I would clean them too when I was younger. Word would get around through the grape vine that the boss cleans just like us. The tone amongst the cleaners would change. The sites looked cleaner and we received less complaints from our clients. He would also keep his own skills sharp and inspect the areas his cleaners would clean. He would spot ways to improve the cleaning and provide training to his employees that were not performing to the standard.
| More